Uniform rectilinear motion
Equation of a uniform rectilinear motion.
Enter 'x' in the field to be calculated.
Equation of a uniform rectilinear motion
Uniform rectilinear motion is characterized by:
- a straight line trajectory,
- a constant direction of motion,
- a constant speed of motion equal to the initial speed.
From a vector point of view, the velocity vector is constant over time:
`\vec(v) = \vec(v_0)`,
`\vec(v_0)` being the initial speed vector.
Some consequences of these properties:
- acceleration, measuring the change in speed over time, is zero at all times.
- The object in motion travels equal distances in equal intervals of time.
Equations of uniform rectilinear motion can be written in this way,
a : acceleration at the instant t
v : speed at the instant t
v0 : initial speed at the instant t=0
d : displacement at the instant t
Then, at any instant t,`a = 0`
`v = v_0`
`d = v * t`